Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Emulation


This is a speedpainting from yesterday, touched up a bit this morning. The idea was to emulate Craig Mullins, whose work I have admired for a long time now. I've been going for a lot of realism in some of my pieces, but looking at Craig Mullins' work I really liked how much power he obtains in part by simplifying. It was intimidating at first to try to figure out his working methods, especially as he hasn't published any video tutorials to my knowledge, but I think I found some techniques that approximate the look. After being so meticulous with some of my other paintings it felt really nice to be loose; it felt kind of like the creative figure drawing class I took with Ryan Woodward.  I think I will continue to pull influence from him Craig Mullins in the future, especially for concept work.

1 comment:

  1. It's sort of the visual equivalent of remixing classically (or at least traditionally) produced music into an electro...style...piece. Like Parov Stelar's "Booty Swing." Except you didn't sample your realistic parts from another artist... I guess what I'm trying to say is that this artistic style is neat, in that it inhabits the entire spectrum from traditional-rendered-out-illustratoria to modern-2D-power-graphic-designland, and really embraces the digital medium in doing so. I like.

    ReplyDelete